Wednesday 30 October 2013

The pain of class reunions

          What is the point of a class reunion? At an age where we barely know what we want to do or even know what and who we are, I don't think that we are the best judge of characters. I didn't think I had loads of friends worth remembering in high school. In fact, I have terrible memories in high school, being a victim of verbal abuse. So I don't understand how some of these "classmates" can still invite me without batting an eye. At least they should remember how they treated me last time and feel remorse. Better yet, just totally forget about me. I don't care. I'd rather be forgotten than to be pulled in back into that time where I hated the most? 
         It's true that things happened a long time ago and that I should have became more mature and forgive. But no matter how mature someone can be, there are things that can't be forgiven. Even if i forgot how i lived through high school, I'm just too lazy to give a thought. What was in the past can stay in the past and I rather not dig it up again.
         The inspiration behind this post came from a sudden chat invitation in Facebook. My old classmates started chatting about how they are doing and the old times. I'm just too tired to care about what they have to say. I felt a bit guilty though, since it was my history teacher that started the chat. I like her, she was nice. Still, why should those people have to know about what i do now, how am i living and what am i going to do in the future? If they didn't care in the past, they definitely shouldn't care right now.
          I see class reunion as a chance for people to be nosy. We dig up old memories, remind people of the good and bad times, find out how they are doing, mock and be jealous of them. I don't see anything good coming out of these. So why bother with a reunion? Graduating from high school was a big transition in my life, I changed into a different person and I lead a different life right now. It was a new beginning, a fresh start, you get what I mean. I get to be who I am and not being judged by who my parent's are. I try to forget the people in my past that i found worthless to remember and rewrite my history or simply start a new life.
      But every year I receive invitation for a reunion and i ALWAYS ignore it. How I wish they can get the message and disappear from my life forever. Since they still insist on popping up once in a while, I'm trying my best to disappear instead. 
         I'm doing great without these people right now. I don't think I want to disrupt my life now with a reunion I'm going to hate. It's so much different if it's only a small reunion with my few closest friend, but this is one whole class of people that I used to feel tortured being around them. So no thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment